Public Participation at Board Meetings
Public comment at all board meetings will be conducted in accordance with BED(LEGAL), BED(LOCAL), and the Board's procedures on public comment
At all Board meetings, public comments are limited to items on the posted meeting notice and agenda.
The following guidelines apply to public comment:
- Individuals must sign up in advance of the meeting by submitting a Public Participation Request Form (button below). A hard copy of this form is also available at LISD Central Office, 1400 Oatman Street. Signup will open when the agenda is posted (at least 72 hours before meeting is scheduled to start) and close at 1:00 PM prior to the meeting being called to order. When an individual signs up, the individual must indicate the Board agenda item their comment pertains to.
- If an agenda item is continued or posted again for a meeting on a later date, individuals who wish to address the Board on the item must sign up separately for that later date.
- The period reserved for public comment will generally occur at the beginning of the meeting. However, in the interest of time and the orderly conduct of public business, the presiding officer may make adjustments in accordance with the Board's adopted procedures on public comment.
- A speaker will be given up to 3 minutes to address the Board. If however, the total number of speakers seeking to address the Board at a meeting exceeds 10, the per-speaker time limit may be reduced. In no event will a speaker be given less that one minute to address the Board. A speaker who wishes to address multiple agenda items may be given more time to address the Board in accordance with the Board's adopted procedures.
- Under the Texas Open Meetings Act, the Board is not permitted to discuss or act upon any issues that are not posted on the agenda.
- Public participation time is not intended for the presentation of grievances. The Board has adopted complaint policies that are designed to secure, at the lowest possible administrative level, a prompt and equitable resolution of complaints, and concerns for employees (DGBA), students or their parents (FNG), and the general public (GF). For further information on those policies, please contact the Superintendent's office at 325-247-4747.
- Under the Texas Open Meetings Act, the Board may exercise its authority to discuss certain subject matters on the agenda in closed session, including matters involving individual District staff members and individual students. If a speaker's comment concerns one of those subjects, the speaker should address the concern through the District's grievance process.
- Rules of order and decorum will be enforced during the public comment period to ensure efficient meetings. Unlawful or disruptive conduct, including interrupting scheduled speakers, speaking out of turn, or interfering with rights of others, will not be tolerated. Each participant is legally responsible for the content and consequences of his or her own statements.